Undergraduate Catalog 2007-2008
UDM Academic PoliciesCourse DescriptionsList of All ProgramsFaculty

Academic Information & Procedures

Students are responsible and accountable for knowledge of the requirements, procedures and regulations set forth in the Catalog. Advisors, counselors, faculty and administrative staff may assist students by explaining requirements and procedures in individual instances. However, the ultimate responsibility for compliance with procedures and requirements rests with the student.

Role of the Academic Advisor
The academic advisor is a central figure in the development of the student’s academic program at UDM. Students must consult with and obtain the approval of an academic advisor in the development of their schedules for each term, when changing courses (adding or dropping), for clarification of academic policies and procedures and when contemplating changes in their major program or curriculum.

Advisor Assignment
Advisors are drawn from the full-time faculty, administrative personnel in the offices of the college or school dean, and the professional staff of academic support service programs. First year full-time students are assigned an academic advisor as part of the orientation program. Transfer, adult and part-time advisors have been designated for freshmen, special admission students, undecided students, and returning students. These advisors ordinarily work with students for one or two terms. When the student declares and is accepted into a major, a new advisor in that discipline will usually be assigned. A good advising relationship requires that both the student and the advisor be comfortable with each other. Students who are uncomfortable or dissatisfied with their advising relationship may request a change of advisor.

Student Problems
Students should consult the advisor when they experience problems at UDM. The academic advisor is well equipped to refer the student to the most appropriate campus resources. Students experiencing personal difficulties, whether related to the University or not, are encouraged to make use of the services offered by Personal Counseling, Student Development, University Ministry, the Psychology Clinic, Counseling Clinic, Career Education Center or University Academic Services. Trained staff in these offices may provide direct assistance to the student or referral to more specialized help.

Classification of Students

Class Standing
Undergraduate students are classified based upon the number of credit hours earned. Freshmen are those students who have earned up to 31 credit hours. Sophomores are those students who have earned between 32 and 62 credit hours. Juniors are those undergraduates who have 63 through 94 earned hours. Seniors are those students with 95 or more earned credit hours. In some colleges or schools class standing may be conditioned on the completion of certain course requirements or successful progress through the curriculum in addition to the earned hour requirement.

Full-Time Student
To be classified as a full-time student, one must register for a minimum of 12 credit hours per term. Students employed on a cooperative training assignment are considered full-time students during the period in which they are employed full-time. Students on parallel (half-time) cooperative training assignments must be registered for a minimum of six credit hours in addition to their training assignment to be classified as full-time students. Full-time students who drop below 12 hours during a semester may jeopardize their financial aid, athletic eligibility or international student status. See “Satisfactory Academic Progress” elsewhere in this Catalog.

Part-Time Student
Students are classified as part-time when they register for up to 11 credit hours per semester.

Undergraduate Grading System


The following grades are used in reporting students academic performance:
GradeQuality PointsDescription
D+ (1)1.3
D (1)1.0Poor
P (2)Passing
I (3)Incomplete
I/F (3)0.0Incomplete/Failing
AUD (4)Audit
XF (5)0.0Failure to Withdraw

  • 1. In some programs a grade of C-, D+ or D in a required or prerequisite course may not earn credit toward graduation.
  • 2. The grade of P earns credit but is not counted in the calculation of the Quality Point Average
  • 3. The grade of I is temporary, see the section on Incomplete. An I grade changed to an F is recorded as an I/F.
  • 4. An AUD earns no credit and is not included in the calculation of the GPA
  • 5. An XF is assigned when a student fails to withdraw from a course. An XF is calculated as an F in the GPA

Grade Reports
A report of the student’s academic progress and performance is prepared at the end of each term. This report indicates the student’s progress and performance for the term and a cumulative summary of the student’s academic standing. Grade reports are available on UDM Weblink. Copies can be printed from the WebLink. Midterm grades are also issued to undergraduate students for most courses. Midterm reports do not become part of a student’s permanent record. The university does not mail midterm or final grades.

The permanent, official record of a student’s academic performance and progress is maintained by the Office of the Registrar. A transcript contains all essential academic data such as: dates of attendance, courses taken, credits and grades awarded, degrees received. It may also contain information related to the student’s status at the institution.

The permanent, official record of a student's academic performance and progress is maintained by the Office of the Registrar. Current students can view transcripts on-line at www.udmercy.edu/weblink. Transcripts are $5.00 per copy and can be ordered in the following ways:

ONLINE at the National Student Clearinghouse , using a credit card. The University of Detroit Mercy has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide transcript ordering via the web. There is an additional $2.25 service charge per transcript for using this ordering service. This service is available to current students and alumni 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Orders processed after 5:00 pm will be processed beginning on the next business day by the University's Office of the Registrar.If you are a first-time visitor, you will be directed to create a personal profile and user ID/password, which you will use to place future orders. The site will walk you through placing your order, including delivery options and fees. You can order as many transcripts as you like in a single session. The consent to Release form must be returned to NSC before orders are processed. Order updates will be emailed to you. You can also check order status or history on-line. Your credit card will only be charged after your order has been completed.If you need help or have questions about the Clearinghouse's transcript ordering service, contact 703-742-7791 or transcripts@studentclearinghouse.org

IN PERSON at the Office of the Registrar, McNichols Campus, Fisher Administration Center, Room 80. Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. Summer hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. The Office of the Registrar can provide transcripts for you to pick up in person. The two-day processing time and $5.00 charge per copy still apply. Please be aware that many academic institutions will not accept a transcript as official that does not come directly from the Registrar's Office. Transcripts that you pick-up will be marked "Issued to Student". Call the office two days prior to place an order. Your picture ID is required at the time of pick-up.

BY MAIL, by sending a handwritten or typed request to the Office of the Registrar. In order to comply with federal regulations the handwritten or typed request must be signed. It needs to include the following: Name Name you attended under if different from your current name Social Security Number or student ID number Current address Birthdate Daytime telephone number Institution attended (U of D, Mercy College or UDM) Year(s) attended or graduated Complete address of where you would like the transcript sent if different from your home address. Please include the name of the institution, company or business as well as department, if this applies to your order. Check or money order made payable to the University of Detroit Mercy. $5.00 for each copy that you order Mail the signed transcript request along with payment to: Office of the Registrar University of Detroit Mercy 4001 W. McNichols Road Detroit, MI 48221-3038

BY FAX, by faxing a signed request that contains the information listed in the BY MAIL option above to (313) 993-3317. Fax orders must be charged to a credit card. We need the credit card number, expiration date, security code on the card and zip code of the card holder.

Additional Information on Transcript Orders Transcripts sent to you will be marked "Issued to Student".Transcripts that require additional attachment(s) sent with the transcript must be submitted in person, by FAX or by mail.Your request will normally be processed within 2 business days and sent via U.S. Mail.If you require faster delivery, we will send your transcript via DHL after the two-day processing time. Please add $15.00 to your order for this service within the continental US, and specify that you are requesting Express delivery. Please note that DHL cannot deliver to P.O. boxes. International addresses require additional fees.The Registrar is unable to release transcripts to individuals who have outstanding financial obligations to the University. Questions regarding financial obligations should be directed to the Student Accounting Office at 313-993-1420.No transcripts are mailed on days that the university is closed for holidays including the week between Christmas and New Year's. Please plan accordingly.

Pass-Fail Grading
UDM permits students to enroll in a limited number of courses on a modified pass-fail basis. This opportunity is provided to encourage students to explore challenging elective courses they might not otherwise select. The final grade for a course taken pass-fail may be P or F. Grades A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, and D are converted to P (pass). Hours earned with a grade of P count toward graduation, but a P does not enter into the calculation of the student’s quality point average. A final grade of F is treated in the same manner as in those courses which are not taken pass-fail.

Election of the pass-fail option requires the approval of the student’s academic advisor or dean. The option is limited to elective courses. Other requirements and restrictions regarding the use of the pass-fail option will be determined by the college/school in which the student’s major resides. Pass-fail election forms are available from the dean of the student’s college and must be filed with the registrar. The deadline for election of pass-fail is published in the academic calendar and typically falls during the second week of classes. No pass-fail elections may be accepted after the deadline nor may the election be withdrawn after submission to the registrar.

It is the student’s responsibility to initiate the request for a grade of incomplete from the instructor. A petition for a grade of “I” is required and may be approved or disapproved at the discretion of the instructor. This grade is only appropriate at the end of the term when the majority of the course work is completed but for serious reason the student is unable to complete the remaining course requirements. If the instructor feels the awarding of an “I” is justified, she/he fills out an Incomplete Grade Petition reflecting the individual work to be completed and the due dates of that work. Both student and instructor sign the form. If the student does not complete the required work eight weeks after the end of the semester, the “I” grade is automatically changed to an “I/F”.

The deadline for completing an “I” grade may be extended at the discretion of the instructor of the course, the dean of the college in which the course was taught, and the dean of the student’s college/school. The deadline for each semester is listed in the Academic Calendar.

Students who wish to audit a class must register for the course on a audit basis. There is no grade or credit earned for the course but it does appear on the student’s official transcript as an audit. Courses taken on an audit basis do not meet degree requirements. Normal tuition and fees apply for those who wish to audit a course. Students who register for credit and wish to change to audit must make the change by the end of the add/drop period for that semester. Students who enroll on an audit basis cannot change to earn credit for that course. Attendance is required in order to successfully audit a course. Failure to attend audited classes may result in an administrative withdrawal from the class.

Alumni Audit
The University permits alumni who have graduated from the University of Detroit Mercy, Mercy College of Detroit and the University of Detroit to take classes on an audit basis after they have graduated. The intent of this policy is to allow alumni to maintain professional competence after they have completed their degree at UDM. Courses taken under the Alumni Audit Policy can be taken without applying to a degree program. Audited courses do not count toward any degree requirements.

These classes may be tuition-free under the following conditions: 1) Alumni are limited to two audited classes per semester. There is no lifetime limit to the number of courses that can be audited. 2) All course prerequisites need to be met before taking a class that has pre-requisites. 3) Audits can be taken in courses at or below the level of the degree earned at the undergraduate level. Courses at the graduate level are restricted to those courses that are part of the earned degree program or a closely related program. The University through the respective Dean’s Office reserves the right to determine which courses can be audited by alumni on a tuition-free basis. 4) Alums may be required to wait until the first week of classes to enroll to determine if there are available seats in the course. No late registration charge will be assessed for this situation. 5) This audit policy covers tuition only. All other fees are paid by the alum including registration services fees, late payment fees, any specific course fees and any service charges that may accrue. 6) Alumni who are registered on an audit basis are expected to attend classes in conformance with the course syllabus in order for the audit to appear on their official transcript record.

Students who do not attend class may be dropped by the University for non-attendance. If a class is full, alum can be bumped to accommodate a tuition-paying student unless the alum wants to remain in the class and pay the appropriate tuition on an audit or credit basis. The tuition for an audited course is the same as tuition for a credit course.

Grade Point Average
The grade point average (GPA), sometimes referred to as “quality point average (Q.P.A.),” is used to describe the general level of a student’s academic performance at UDM. Grade points are assigned for each grade. The number of grade points earned in a particular course is determined by multiplying the grade points assigned to the grade given, by the number of credit hours for the course. For example, a grade of C in a three credit course earns 6 grade points (2 x 3 = 6).

A grade point average is calculated by dividing the sum of the grade points earned by the number of credit hours attempted. Grades of W, I, and P do not affect a student’s GPA. Grades earned at other institutions and transferred to UDM are not used in the calculation of the GPA unless they are earned through a consortium arrangement that specifies the grades will transfer. Students considering a transfer within UDM should consult with the dean of the college which they plan to enter to determine the courses which will or will not transfer. The final grade report on UDM WebLink at the end of each term indicates both the student’s cumulative GPA (based upon all courses attempted and grade points earned) and the GPA achieved for that particular term. Grade reports are not mailed to students. They only appear on UDM WebLink. Copies can be printed from UDM WebLink.

Repeated Course Option
A student may register for a course in which he or she has already received a low passing grade or an F. Both grades are normally included in the calculation of the quality point average. Some colleges modify this repeat rule to permit a limited number of courses (not to exceed four) to be repeated with the latest grade used in the calculation of the quality point average. Not all courses qualify for the automatic repeat course option. Contact your dean’s office for information on repeated courses. Both grades always remain on the transcript. Credit toward graduation is earned only on the basis of the grade in the last registration.

Grade Grievances
In some instances a student may believe that the final grade received in a particular course is unjustified. In such cases the student may choose to appeal the grade received. Each college or school has published written grievance procedures which must be followed. A copy of this procedure should be obtained from the dean of the college offering the course. In general, students are advised to consult with the instructor concerned prior to beginning the appeals process. All appeals should be filed in a timely manner, preferably within 30 days after the final grade is issued. The decision of the college/school dean is final. All grade appeals must be finalized before a degree can be conferred. Appeals to the Vice President for Academic Affairs will be considered only on procedural grounds.

Experiential Learning Credit

UDM is well aware that many students who wish to pursue a degree bring with them a wide range of learning experiences which they have acquired in their adult life; experiences which have contributed to their personal, professional and academic development. Some of these experiences may have resulted in significant “college-level learning” which is similar in nature and content to the disciplines included in their degree program. In order to effectively serve the learning needs of adult students who have acquired significant college-level knowledge outside of the traditional classroom, the University has established a set of guidelines to be used in awarding “experiential learning” credit which can be applied toward degree requirements.

The focus of the experiential learning program is to identify and verify specific learning outcomes which are judged to be comparable to the learning outcomes achieved in the discipline awarding the credit for learning. It should be understood that although professional work experience is considered valuable, University credit can only be awarded for specific learning acquired through experience, and not for the experience alone.

Fees may be charged for development, evaluation, and in some cases, for the administration of the assessment. For more information regarding experiential learning credit, contact the Emilie Gallegos, Experiential Learning coordinator in the University Academic Services Office, (313) 993-1143.

General Limitations
The maximum number of credits UDM will award for experiential learning toward a bachelor’s degree is 63 credits; no more than 30 credits may be achieved through portfolio development. The maximum number of credits UDM will award for experiential learning toward an associate degree is 15 credits; no more than eight credits may be achieved through portfolio development. Credit earned through portfolio development cannot be applied to any part of the residency requirement.

The evaluation of the competence level of the experiential learning, including a credit recommendation, is made by the faculty in the relevant discipline. Final determination is the responsibility of the dean of the college or school reviewing documentation of the learning. The awarding of credit is made subject to the requirements of the student’s academic program.

Experiential Learning Options

College Level Examination Program
CLEP is a standardized testing program that allows individuals to gain credit for knowledge obtained in a given subject. UDM will award credit for any CLEP exam for which a student has achieved a score of 50 or higher. UDM is a limited CLEP testing center and will administer exams to enrolled UDM students only. Contact Sister Sarah Foster, Testing Coordinator, in University Academic Services for more information, (313) 578-0379.

Portfolio Development
UDM awards credit through the assessment of individual portfolios. Students must start the portfolio process within their first two semesters at the University. Students interested in earning credit through portfolio development should discuss this option with their college experiential learning coordinator, or contact Emilie Gallegos, Experiential Learning Coordinator in the University Academic Services Office, (313) 993-1143.

DANTES Examination Program
DANTES Subject Standardized Testing (DSST) program is a testing program that allows individuals to gain credit for knowledge obtained in a given subject. UDM will award credit for any DANTES exam for which a student has achieved the minimum ACE passing score. UDM is a limited DANTES testing center and will administer exams to enrolled UDM students only. Contact Sister Sarah Foster, Testing Coordinator, in University Academic Services for more information, (313) 578-0379.

American Council on Education Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (ACE-PONSI)
This program evaluates non-credit, job-related courses sponsored by over 120 organizations in business and industry (including IBM, AT&T, CBS and the Postal Service) and recommends college credit for students who take such courses. The University accepts the recommendations of ACE-PONSI as a basis for awarding credit. The relevant college/school and discipline will determine the credit to be awarded.

American Council on Education Military Evaluation Program (ACE-Military Evaluation Program)
This program evaluates courses and on-the-job training offered by the Armed Services and the Department of Defense. The recommendations are published every two years by ACE in the “Guide to Evaluation of Education Experience in the Armed Services” which is used by UDM as a source for awarding credits. The relevant college/ school and discipline will determine the credit to be awarded. A copy of the guide is kept in the Office of the Registrar for reference.

Discipline Generated Examinations
With the approval of the Dean of the College/School, the University Experiential Learning Coordinator may request a discipline generated examination to assess the college-level competency of a student. Successful completion of the examination is determined by the discipline faculty. Discipline-generated examinations generally will not be requested for any subject which is offered through other standardized testing programs, such as CLEP

Other Experiential Learning Options
Students entering UDM with significant work experience may apply for Co-op Portfolio Credit. (see the co-op section of this catalog for further details).With the approval of the dean of the student’s college or school, UDM may award credit for state sponsored certification or licensing. Six credits (6) may be awarded for documented completion of the Police Academy program. Credit may be awarded for military service documented by a DD214 and an “Honorable Discharge” (one credit for every six months of service, up to a maximum of four credits).

Academic Standards

The academic deans monitor the records of students enrolled in the colleges/schools to assure that reasonable progress is being made toward the students’ educational objectives. Student records are reviewed at the end of each term. The review may encompass the student’s cumulative, major and term grade point average, the student’s progress in the courses required by his/her curriculum, the number of credits for which the student registered and actually completed, and any patterns of repeated withdrawals or incomplete work. Based upon this review the dean may place the student on the Dean’s List (for excellence), note that the student is in Good Standing, place the student on probation, give him/her an academic warning or dismiss the student from the college/school for poor scholarship.

Dean’s List
Dean’s List recognition is granted to those students who achieve a level of academic excellence in a particular term. Full-time undergraduates who earn a minimum of 12 credit hours with a quality point average of 3.25 or better in a term are on the Dean’s List for that term. Students registered as part-time must meet the same GPA requirements for a minimum of six earned hours.

Academic Warning
Students will be warned whenever the term GPA falls below 2.00. Such warning enables students to take early corrective action concerning their academic performance.

Academic Probation
Students are placed on academic probation when it appears that their performance places their academic objectives in jeopardy. Students will be automatically placed on academic probation when the cumulative GPA falls below 2.00. Individual programs, colleges, or schools may establish additional criteria for placing a student on probation. A student who fails to raise the cumulative average to at least 2.0, or satisfy the additional program/school criteria, in the following term is subject to dismissal for poor scholarship.

When a student has been placed on academic probation, a dean may, at his/her discretion, establish specific requirements or conditions that the student must meet. The dean may require the student to enroll in particular courses, repeat courses, establish minimum or maximum number of credit hours to be attempted or earned, require a specific minimum GPA for the next term, require the student to consult a counselor or tutor, or engage in supervised study, etc. Failure to meet such conditions, when established, may lead to academic dismissal. Undergraduates who are on academic probation have the privilege of applying for admission to another college/school within the University. If accepted by the college/school, the student will retain the “academic probation” status until an evaluation of his/her record indicates that a change in status is appropriate.

Academic Dismissal
Students may be dismissed from the college/school in which they are enrolled as a result of poor academic performance. Students are automatically subject to dismissal the second consecutive term the cumulative average falls below 2.00. Dismissal may occur when a student has not achieved a 2.00 cumulative quality point average in the term following one in which he/she was placed on probation, when terms or conditions established for probation have not been met, or when the academic record reflects poor performance.

Students who wish to appeal an academic dismissal should contact the dean’s office immediately upon their receipt of notice that they have been dismissed. If first contact is made by telephone or in person, it should be immediately followed by a written statement of their intent to appeal the dismissal. Each college or school has specific procedures which govern appeals of an academic dismissal. These procedures will be explained to the student when requested. In general, students dismissed for poor scholarship will not be considered for readmission until after the lapse of at least one term. Dismissal for poor scholarship is entered upon the student’s permanent academic record.

Satisfactory Academic Progress
Students receiving financial aid are expected to meet specific academic requirements. See the “Satisfactory Academic Progress” section.

Academic Integrity

As members of an academic community engaged in the pursuit of truth and with a special concern for values, students must conform to a high standard of honesty and integrity in their academic work. Instances where academic misconduct occur include, but are not limited to, falsification or misrepresentation of material used in the admission process, presenting the work of other's as one's own, theft, plagiarism and cheating. These actions pose a threat to the academic integrity of the University and its mission and will be treated accordingly. Academic misconduct is subject to disciplinary sanctions. These sanctions include, but are not limited to, reprimand, probation, suspension and dismissal. Students are required to familiarize themselves with the specific protocols of their school or college, available in each respective Dean's office or Academic Policy Handbook.

Registering for Classes

Specific and current information on the policies, procedures, dates and deadlines governing class registration is provided in the Schedule of Classes prior to each term. The Schedule of Classes is available on the University’s website at http://www.udmercy.edu/classschedule .

Registration begins when students meet with their academic advisors to select the courses they wish to take the following term. The process is completed by registering in person in the Office of the Registrar or online through UDM Weblink. Tuition and fee invoices are mailed approximately one month before classes begin. Payment or payment arrangements are required before classes begin. Fees are assessed beginning on the first day of the semester for late registration.

Entering full-time freshmen begin the registration process during the freshman orientation periods held each summer. Entering part-time and transfer students receive letters from their college office indicating the procedures they should follow.

Changes in Registration
Registered students may change course registration on the UDM Weblink until the semester begins or by completing Change of Registration forms available in the college office and obtaining the appropriate signatures. To be official, completed Change of Registration forms must be filed with the Registrar’s Office within one week of obtaining the signatures. The last date to add or drop a course is listed online in the Schedule of Classes each semester.

Students should be aware that any change which affects a student’s status as full- or part-time may have an impact on his/her financial obligations, financial aid, athletic eligibility and/or visa status. Important dates pertaining to all changes in registration are listed in each term’s Schedule of Classes on the University website.

Withdrawing from a Course
Students may drop a course on the Weblink until the semester begins or by obtaining the signatures required by their college on the “Change of Registration” form and filing that form in the Registrar’s Office. If a course is dropped during the first 25 percent of the course, no record of enrollment for the individual course will appear on the student’s transcript.

Students who officially withdraw during the middle 50 percent of the course will receive a grade of W. The course remains on the student’s grade report and transcript with a W, but will not be counted in hours attempted or in the computation of a student’s quality point average. Students may not withdraw during the last 25 percent of the course unless they have received approval from their dean. No withdrawal may be processed after the end of the class.

An “unofficial withdrawal” (Change of Registration form not filed and student stops attending class) is not recognized and will result in the assignment of a permanent grade of XF. If a student is unable to complete any of his/her classes and is physically unable to come to campus to file the Change of Registration, a letter to this effect should be mailed or faxed by the student to his/her dean prior to the withdrawal deadline.

Forced Withdrawal
In some cases a “Change of Registration” may be initiated by the University to remove a student from a class (or classes) in which he/she is registered. This action may be taken when a student has failed to follow the procedures, regulations or requirements of the University, school or college, or when the student has gained registration in a particular class or classes by misrepresentation. When such actions are taken, the course instructor and the student are notified.

Repeated Withdrawal
Students who repeatedly withdraw from all of their classes may be denied permission to register for future semesters. Repeated withdrawals in two successive semesters or in any three non-consecutive semesters will result in a written warning and registration hold unless the withdrawals are a result of circumstances beyond the student’s control and have been brought to the attention of their college office. Should such withdrawal occur again, the student will be denied permission for future registration.


The University participates in a program where students and programs are exchanged with the other members of the Detroit Area Catholic Higher Education Consortium, which include Madonna University, Marygrove College and Sacred Heart Seminary. Under the program, full-time and part-time undergraduate students in good standing and enrolled in any member institution may take undergraduate courses at other consortium schools at their home institution tuition rates.

To be eligible, a full-time student must be enrolled at the home school and enroll for a combined total of 12 or more credit hours at both schools and must pay at least the minimum full-time tuition of the home institution. A part-time student must register for a minimum of six credit hours, at least three of which must be at the home institution.

Registration Procedure
Approval for enrolling in courses at another consortium institution must be obtained from the college office. The authorization form is prepared by the student and signed by the college office. The academic dean has the authority to limit the total number of courses a student may take at other consortium institutions, both overall and during a specific term or semester. Summer courses are available.


  • A maximum of 12 credit hours of courses from other consortium institutions may be taken during a student’s entire undergraduate program (except for declared Theatre and Architecture majors).
  • Normally, authorization will not be given to take a course at another consortium institution if an identical or clearly comparable course will be concurrently offered at UDM.
  • Graduate level courses are not included in this program. Post-degree students may participate provided that they enroll for undergraduate courses.
  • No consortium credits are allowed during the last 30 hours of any student’s program (except for declared Theatre and Architecture majors).

Senior Privilege

UDM undergraduate seniors with at least a 3.25 GPA may be permitted to take a limited number of graduate credits (nine credits) to be used toward an undergraduate or graduate degree. Such courses cannot be counted for credit towards both the graduate and undergraduate degrees and would appear on only one transcript (undergraduate or graduate). The student must have earned at least 110 hours and obtain the approval of the director of the graduate program offering the courses to be taken as well as signatures of their advisor and dean's office. Registration for graduate courses is by Senior Privilege Authorization form only and the designation of whether the courses are being taken for undergraduate or graduate credit must be made at the time the form is submitted. Permission to enroll in graduate courses under senior privilege does not imply acceptance into a graduate program. Students enrolled through senior privilege must follow the procedures and meet the established application requirements in order to continue their graduate study. Post-degree students do not qualify for senior privilege.

Transfer Within the University

Current students who wish to transfer from one UDM undergraduate college/school to another must make special application for this purpose. Applications are available in the Office of the Registrar or in any of the college/school offices.


Application for Graduation
An “Application for Graduation” should be filed early in the academic year in which the student intends to graduate. Candidates for degrees must file their applications in the college office by the dates established in the academic calendar for the year in which they intend to graduate. Applications for a degree should be filed by the third week of September 1 for December graduation; the third week of January for May, June, and August graduation. Application forms can be obtained in any college office, on line at www.udmercy.edu/registrar/forms or in the Registrar’s Office. Applications received after the deadline or failure to file an application may result in denial to participate in the commencement ceremony and/or delay in the date of graduation.

Minimum Requirements
The requirements set forth below are the minimum University requirements for graduation; college, schools and academic programs establish additional requirements which must be met for the particular degree programs they offer. Consult the Colleges and Schools section of this Catalog for the specific requirements for particular degrees and major programs.

Bachelor Degree Requirements
A candidate for a bachelor’s degree must complete a minimum 126 earned hours acceptable to the degree program in which he/she is enrolled to be certified for graduation. The earned hour requirement is subject to the following limitations:

  • Not more than 63 hours in transfer credit from a community or junior college, unless a formal affiliation agreement provides otherwise.
  • Not more than a total of 96 credit hours from another four-year college or university.
  • Not more than 12 credit hours earned through the Consortium, unless required by the student’s major program.

Major Program
A candidate for a bachelor’s degree must be certified by the college/school as having satisfactorily completed the requirements for a major program in the college/school in which the degree is requested.

Minor Program
The university recognizes that a minor is a specific area of study that a student may pursue in addition to their major. The ability to declare a minor was just added in September 2006. Currently there are only a small number of minors that have been approved. Contact your college/school for specifics.

Declaration of a Minor
A student must declare a major before declaring a minor. All students planning to pursue a minor should declare that minor by the first semester of their junior year. A minor must be certified at the same time that the major(s) is certified for graduation. A minor cannot be added after graduation. Upon success ful completion, minors are listed on a student's final transcript but are not listed on the diploma.

Minor Requirements
Students may complete a maximum of two majors and one minor at UDM. A minor is not required in order to graduate. A student can minor in an area outside the college/school of their major(s). Normally students cannot be awarded a minor in a field in which they are earning or have already earned a bachelor's degree.

A minimum of 18 credits is required for a minor. At most, 6 credit hours may be counted towards both the major and the minor. Students must maintain a cumulative 2.0 grade point average in all minor courses in order for the minor to be posted on the official transcript at the time of graduation.

Pre-requisites may be required for some minor courses. At least half the courses within the minor must be upper division courses. No courses required for the minor can be taken on a pass/fail basis. At least 12 credits (or 4 courses) required for the minor must be taken at UDM unless the courses are taken as part of a consortium agreement.

Certificate Programs
The university offers a limited number of certificates at the undergraduate level. Normally a minimum of 15 semester hours is required for a certificate at UDM. No more than one-third of the total number of credits required for a certificate can be transferred from another institution to meet the requirements of the certificate unless a specific articulation agreement is in place.

Students must maintain a cumulative 2.0 grade point average in all certificate courses at the undergraduate level in order for the certificate to be granted. Pre-requisites may be required for some certificate programs. No courses required for an undergraduate certificate may be taken on a pass/fail basis. Normally a student is enrolled in no more than one certificate program at a time. Certificates will not be granted retroactively after students have earned a degree. This does not prevent students from returning after a degree to earn a certificate by taking additional coursework. Students must complete an Application for Certificate in their last semester of coursework.

Candidates for a bachelor’s degree are to complete the last 30 credit hours of their program at UDM. No transfer credits will be accepted as credit toward graduation during this portion of a student’s program. Undergraduate students will not normally be permitted to transfer credits for courses taken at a local higher education institution when an identical or nearly identical course is concurrently being offered at UDM. Exceptions may be made only by the dean of the school/college in which the undergraduate is enrolled. This permission must be obtained in writing before taking the course.

Grade Point Average
Candidates for a bachelor’s degree must have a minimum 2.00 GPA as calculated for each of the following categories: all attempted hours in their degree program; all attempted hours in the major program; the last 60 credit hours of their degree program.

Completion of Core
A candidate for a bachelor’s degree must have successfully completed all core requirements in effect at the time of his/her enrollment in UDM. Students may be required to participate in competency testing as part of this graduation requirement.

Graduation With Honors
Graduates who have compiled superior academic records during the last 60 credit hours of their program at UDM will have one of the following honors inscribed on their diploma and recorded on their permanent academic transcript: cum laude (3.25 GPA minimum), magna cum laude (3.50 GPA minimum), summa cum laude (3.75 GPA minimum). Only the last 60 hours attempted at UDM are used in the calculation for honors. Transfer students must complete at least 60 hours at UDM to be eligible for honors recognition. The responsibility for determining appropriate academic honors rests with the individual colleges/schools. Candidates enrolled in the Honors Program, who have completed the established requirements of the program, will have honors suitably inscribed as part of their degree name on their diploma.

Second Major
Students who successfully complete the requirements for a second undergraduate major can petition to have the second major listed on their transcript. Only one baccalaureate degree is awarded. If the second major is under a different baccalaureate degree than the primary major, only the degree of the primary major is awarded. All core curriculum requirements are completed under the primary major. No additional earned hour requirement applies to the recognition and posting of the second major as long as the requirements of the second major are met within the minimum number of hours required for the primary degree major.

Second Baccalaureate Degree
Students who wish to simultaneously pursue two baccalaureate degrees or post-degree students who wish to obtain another baccalaureate degree must complete all the requirements established by the college for the second major or professional program. The semester hours completed at this institution must total at least 30 beyond those required for the first baccalaureate degree. Students must have a 2.0 GPA in all required course work and all course work in the major program. There are no core curriculum requirements for the second baccalaureate degree. Credits earned toward the first baccalaureate degree may be applied toward the new major or program at the discretion of the program faculty. However a second baccalaureate degree has to be at least 30 additional hours as determined by the individual college/school. Honors are not earned on the second degree.

Honors Convocation
Each spring in March or April, the University holds an honors convocation to celebrate the academic credentials of students. Students are recognized for achievement within the schools and colleges as well as such special programs as Alpha Sigma Nu, Kappa Gamma Pi and the Honors Program.

Degree requirements can be completed at the end of each semester during the academic year but degrees are formally awarded only at the annual commencement exercises in May. Students who have completed their degree requirements at any point in the preceding academic year are invited to participate. June and August graduates may be permitted to participate in the May commencement exercises by permission of their college as long as they are enrolled in all of the courses to complete their degree by August. Students must submit their applications by the deadline in order to participate. Commencement is ceremonial; participation in commencement exercises does not assure that all requirements have been met or that a degree has been or will be granted.

Effective assessment of student learning relies on collaboration between students, faculty and administrative staff. Assessment of student learning occurs in the academic major, the core curriculum and in student life. Student participation in the assessment program is essential in meeting the University's commitment to student learning. The University of Detroit Mercy requires students to actively participate in the institution's assessment program by completing surveys, tests, writing assignments, interviews, and other assessment-related activities.

Accreditations and Memberships

Vital to the University’s public accountability are its accreditations. The University of Detroit Mercy is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602-2504 1-800-621-7440

The University is listed by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York and by the Department of Public Instruction of the State of Pennsylvania among their registered institutions.

The University is a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, the Association of Mercy Colleges, Mercy Higher Education Colloquium, the National Catholic Educational Association, the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Michigan and the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities. The University is included in the list of institutions providing membership eligibility in the American Association of University Women.

The School of Architecture is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board, the only accrediting agency for architecture in the nation. It is a member of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture.

The College of Business Administration undergraduate and graduate business programs are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International.

The School of Dentistry, Dental Hygiene program, graduate programs in Endodontics and Orthodontics, and Doctor of Dental Surgery Programs are accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation.

The College of Engineering and Science programs leading to the, Bachelor of Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, and Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering are accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. The Bachelor of Science program in Chemistry is certified by the American Chemical Society’s Committee on Professional Training. The Bachelor of Science program in Biochemistry is within the guidelines stipulated by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

In the College of Health Professions, the Physician Assistant program is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission for the Education of Physician Assistants. The Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesiology Program is nationally accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs/Schools.

The McAuley School of Nursing undergraduate and graduate programs are accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission.

The School of Law is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools and the Association of the Religiously Affiliated Law Schools.

In the College of Liberal Arts & Education, the Ph.D. program in Clinical Psychology is accredited by the American Psychological Association. The Michigan State Board of Education has authorized the College to recommend applicants for certificates to teach in the private and public schools of Michigan. The State Elementary and Secondary Certificate, Provisional and Professional, are issued by the State Board of Education, on the recommendation of the University. The Social Work Program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The Master of Arts in Counseling program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs. The College is a member of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education and the Addiction Program is a member of the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors.


Alcohol and Drugs
The University policy on the use of alcohol and drugs is published and distributed annually to all members of the UDM community and is available in the Student Handbook. Students should be aware that, in addition to the serious health, legal and personal problems associated with the illicit or abusive use of alcohol and drugs, there can be University disciplinary action as well. Sanctions for violation of the law and/or University policy can include suspension or dismissal from UDM.

Students should know that help is available in dealing with the difficulties related to alcohol and other drugs. Services are available both on campus and through a variety of community agencies. Initial contact may be made through any of the following offices: Personal Counseling, Health Services, Addiction Studies, University Ministry, Residence Life or Student Life.

Attendance Policy
Regular and punctual attendance is expected in all classes. Students are responsible for work missed because of late registration or for any other reason. Faculty communicate in writing their attendance policy to students in the first class session of the term/semester. Faculty may recommend that students withdraw from class when absence prevents the student from achieving the objectives of the course.

Civil Rights
The Office of Human Resources has been designated to coordinate UDM’s compliance with all Federal Civil Rights laws. The Human Resources Office may be contacted at:

Human Resources - University of Detroit Mercy
4001 W. McNichols Road
Detroit, MI 48221

or by telephone at (313) 993-6400.

Conduct Code and Disciplinary Procedures
Violations of campus rules or civil laws may result in disciplinary action. Disciplinary procedures are detailed in the Student Handbook. The Dean of Students investigates charges concerning violations and imposes disciplinary sanction. Dormitory violations may be referred to the residence hall staff.

Students charged with academic violations may elect to accept the judgment of a dean; for non-academic violations they may request a formal hearing before the University Board of Student Conduct, composed of two students, a faculty member, and a Student Affairs administrator.

Penalties for minor violations may range from written warnings, probation (limitations of certain campus privileges) to required participation in a rehabilitative educational program. Students charged with major violations may be suspended, expelled or given a lesser sanction.

The Dean of Students may suspend a student pending completion of any hearing if he/she feels such action is necessary. For further information, see the University Student Handbook.

Release of Student Records
UDM maintains the confidentiality of student records in accordance with the provision of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended. At the University, the University Registrar coordinates the inspection and review procedures for student records which include admissions, personal, academic and financial files as well as cooperative education and placement records.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. They are:

(1) The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.

Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

(2) The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.

Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

(3) The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the University discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

(4) The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by University of Detroit Mercy to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605

The University may disclose the following categories of public or "directory" information for any purpose, at its discretion: student name, addresses, telephone numbers, dates of attendance, class, date and place of birth, major field of study, previous institutions attended, awards, honors (includes Dean's List), degrees conferred (including dates), photograph, past and present participation in officially recognized activities and sports, physical factors (e.g. weight and height of athletes). Currently enrolled students may withhold disclosure of any such information under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received by the Registrar by the end of the first week of classes for each semester or period of study.

Disability Support Services
Disability support services are available to all currently enrolled students. Students with a permanent or temporary documented, qualified disability requiring accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act should contact Emilie Gallegos, Director of University Academic Services, at (313) 993-1143 upon admission to the University. Students must complete the intake and disability verification process to receive accommodations.

Summary information on the University’s financial condition is available to the public and prospective students, upon request, from the Office of Marketing & Public Affairs at (313) 993-1254. The most recent audited financial statements are available in the reference areas of all University libraries. Information and statistics on graduation rates and campus safety is published annually and is available upon request from the Office of the Vice President for Advancement and Enrollment. Policies on sexual harassment and AIDS are included in the Student Handbook.

College of Business Administration

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

College of Engineering & Science

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

College of Health Professions & McAuley School of Nursing

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

College of Liberal Arts & Education

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

School of Architecture

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

School of Dentistry

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

School of Law

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

For more information about UDM, or to apply online, go to www.udmercy.edu/apply.

Print Friendly Print-friendly