As part of the University’s commitment to its neighborhood, the University is a member of the Board of Directors of University Commons.
This community organization in northwest Detroit is comprised of neighborhood associations, Livernois Avenue businesses, Marygrove College and UDM.
The organization works to improve the residential and business environment in the area. Recent University Commons projects include façade improvements and beautification of the Livernois median. Kimberly Varner Tandy is the organization’s volunteer coordinator.
- June 2, 2012: 4th Annual Community Parade & Opening Day of Windmill MarketSaturday, November 24th - December 22nd at Mike's Market Visit the Festival of Wreaths.
- June 23, 2012: The 5th Annual Home & Neighborhood Tour "Bakers Dozen"
- August 4, 2012, 5th Annual Jazz on the Ave Neighborhood's Day
- October Harvest Festival
- Festival of Wreaths and Holiday Celebration "Home for the Holidays"
- Windmill Farmers Market
- Shop! The Avenue of Fashion Campign
It's our Community. Let's rejoice and celebrate it!!! Come and join us for a day of family fun. Spring into Summer Community Celebration Parade, and Family Fun Day. Thirteen neighborhoods will come together and celebrate our great community on this day. The Parade will begin at 11am. At Mike's market parking lot on Livernois and 7 Mile. Parade route: Livernois from 7 Mile south to the Lodge Freeway ending at the Windmill market at Livernois between the Lodge and Fenkell. This event will open up the Windmill Market for the season.
As part of the marketing strategy for the University Commons/12th Precinct community, this home tour event will showcase the beautiful homes in the following communities: Bagley, Blackstone, Detroit Golf Club, Fitzgerald, Greenacres, Greenwich Park, Martin Park, Oak Grove, Palmer Woods, Pilgrim Village, Sherwood Forest, University District and Winship communities. These communities maintain high percentages of home ownership, require minimal investment in the current housing stock, enjoy recreational activities in and around the neighborhood, and have a rich selection of architectural structure that complement the lifestyle of a diverse population. Visit beautiful, historic homes inthese neighborhoods for this event.
Activities 8:30 am - 10pm. Start the day with Walk Livernois. There will be 3 sound stages (New Prospect parking lot at Livernois and Pembroke, Mike's Fresh at Livernois and 7 Mile, & Windmill Market at Livernois and the Lodge Freeway)
A weekend of fun for the whole family. Hayrides, a hay maze, pumpkin decorating, and great fruit and vegetables for the holidays.
The highlight of the event will be a Holiday Windows Decoration Competition. Participating businesses will have their windows decorated according to the theme: "Home for the Holidays". The windows will be decorated either by the occupants themselves or by interested designers/decorators. The community residents willvote on their choice of the best design from November 26th until December 17th, 2012. A culminating celebration announcing the winner will be held on December 18th. This event will be attended by local officials, as well as community boosters.
"Home for the Holidays" events:
Windmill Farmers Market
Market will be open:
- Every Wednesday from 4pm – 7pm
- Every Saturday from 9am -2pm
June 2 – Oct. 31st
Fresh fruits and vegetables& beautiful flowers
Shop! The Avenue of Fashion Campign
University Commons/Avenue of Fashion DISCOUNT CARDS. The Card Entitles holders to a discount on merchandise at all participating retailers. This card is good y
ear-round and sells for $10 each. We will issue cards monthly, on consignment, with a 50/50 split on all cards sold. Our goal is to get 25,000 in circulation by the end of 2012.
Current Participating Retailers:
- Simply Casual- 19400 Livernois
- Teasers Botique- 19355 Livernois
- LaBon Fabric Shop- 18999 Livernois
- Shaback High Praise Bakery- 19126 Livernois
- 19 17 Amrican Bistro- 19416 Livernois
- Sherwood Forest Art- 19500 Livernois
- Professional Racket Services- 19442 Livernois
- Wireless T oys- 17179 Livernois
- City Oil Change- 18200 Livernois
- Jo's Gallery- 19376 Livernois
- Terry's Place Salon- 19139 Livernois
- Cobo Cleaners- 18273 Livernois
- Hallstarz- 17301 Livernois