Ta-Nehisi Coates at University of Detroit Mercy, April 4
University of Detroit Mercy welcomed author, journalist, educator and National Book Award winner Ta-Nehisi Coates on Tuesday, April 4 in Calihan Hall on the McNichols Campus. He delivered a talk entitled “Between the World and Me.”
Coates is one of the most original and perceptive black voices today – “the single best writer on the subject of race in the United States” (New York Observer). He is the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Between the World and Me (2015), written as an open letter to his teenaged son which received the National Book Award for nonfiction. The National Book Foundation called it “a brutally honest portrayal of the plight of the African-American male in this country. Incorporating history and personal memoir, Coates has succeeded in creating an essential text for any thinking American today. The book was named one of the 10 best books of the year by numerous national newspapers and magazines.
Coates is also the author of a memoir, The Beautiful Struggle (2008), about growing up in Baltimore during the age of crack cocaine. Booklist called it a “beautifully written, loving portrait of a strong father bringing his sons to manhood.”
As a national correspondent for The Atlantic, he writes about culture, politics and social issues. His June 2014 feature on reparations won the prestigious George Polk Award for commentary and was described by New York magazine as “probably the most discussed magazine piece of the Obama era.” He has also received the Hillman Prize for Opinion and Analysis Journalism and a MacArthur Fellowship, and last year was named one of Time magazine’s 100 Most Influential People.
A former Village Voice writer, Coates serves as the Journalist-in-Residence at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism. He was previously the Martin Luther King Jr. Visiting Scholar at MIT.
This event was sponsored by University of Detroit Mercy’s Office of Academic Affairs, Office of the President, Student Life and the College of Liberal Arts & Education.
Photo Credit: Erick Mori-Quimper
- "Author Ta-Nehisi Coates attracts crowd of over 4,000 to a lecture on race," Michigan Chronicle
- "Acclaimed writer on race (and of comic books) Ta-Nehisi Coates to visit UDM," Detroit Free Press
- "Ta-Nehisi Coates talks race in UDM speech," The Detroit News
- "Author Ta-Nehisi Coates to speak at UDM," The Detroit News
- "Ta-Nehisi Coates to speak at University of Detroit Mercy in April," BLAC Detroit
- "Ta-Nehisi Coates to visit University of Detroit Mercy," BLAC Detroit
- "Race and Justice: Award-Winner Ta-Nehisi Coates Brings Hot Topic to Detroit Today," Deadline Detroit
- "How Ta-Nehisi Coates of New York and Roy Finkenbine of Livonia Became Friends," Deadline Detroit