Great Things at UDM
Below are just some of the distinguishing features and faculty that reflect educational excellence at UDM.
UDM ranks #14 in the "2015 College Choice Ranking"
UDM ranks #14 in the "2015 College Choice Ranking of Regional Universities – Midwest." The "2015 College"Choice Ranking of Regional Universities – Midwest" is based exclusively on factors actual college freshmen said were most important to their college decision. According to the most recent nationwide survey published by the Higher Education Research Institute at UCLA, these factors include academic reputation, financial aid offerings, overall cost, and success of graduates in the post-college job market. Each of these factors was weighted equally in the ranking and data was derived from a variety of publicly available sources, including U.S. News & World Report, the National Center for Education Statistics, and PayScale.
Service Learning Classes
The McNichols Library hosts two historically significant archives: the James Carney Latin American Solidarity Archive, which houses the papers of Fr. James Carney, S.J., a missionary whose life was dedicated to social justice for the poor and landless in Honduras; and the Black Abolitionists Archives, which houses a collection of materials documenting the efforts of more than 300 men and women involved in the abolitionist movement from 1760-1829.
- UDM’s School of Architecture has had the best overall passing rates in the state on the architecture license exams four years in a row.
- At the time of graduation in May 2014, 75% of architecture graduates had at least one full-time job offer before graduation.
- At the American Institute of Architecture’s Michigan Awards Banquet in June 2014, SOA alumni, students and faculty won several key awards, including the Young Architect of the Year award, the AIA Michigan Associate of the Year Award, the prestigious AIA Michigan President’s Award for service to the profession through contributions in the academic realm, and finally, one of our graduates won the state-wide award for the best student project of the year.
- SOA alumnus James Timberlake, FAIA, ’74, was named by President Obama to the National Institute of Building Sciences Board of Directors.
- SOA alumnus Mickey Jacob, FAIA, ’81, ’82, was the 2013 national president of the American Institute of Architects.
- SOA alumni were named the “Best Young Architect of the Year” in Detroit for four of the past six years.
- SOA alumni were also named “Best Young Architect of Year” for the entire State of Michigan (four winners at this level in the past six years.)
- UDM School of Architecture graduate students won the statewide award from AIA Michigan for the best student design project in Michigan in 2013 and 2014.
- In the last two years, 11 of the 16 available scholarships awarded statewide by the Michigan Architecture Foundation went to UDM students.
Treasurer of Detroit Teaches Crisis Accounting
John Naglick’78, ’83 currently serves as Detroit’s Finance Director and Interim Treasurer. This fall, Naglick brings his expertise to UDM, teaching “Accounting During a Cash Crisis” to graduate students in the MBA program and Business Turnaround Management certificate program.
At the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Annual Session held in March 2014, the UDM ADEA chapter received the Award for Outstanding Chapter Organization, which recognizes students who create programs, sponsor events and educational activities and support advances in dental education.
The American Student Dental Association (ASDA) annual Gold Crown Awards recognized Graham Greenland ‘10, current ASDA Chapter President, with the District 6 Delegate of the Year Award for his personal dedication and outstanding achievement on behalf of ASDA and its local chapter members.
Dr. Riyad Al-Qawasmi, associate professor in the Department of Orthodontics, was awarded the American Association of Orthodontists’ 2014 Subtelny, Baker, Eastman Teaching Fellowship Award of $15,000 for research to evaluate the heritability of smile genetics in non-treated siblings.
Upon graduation, 100 percent of the 2014 Engineering graduating class is currently employed or in graduate school.
PA Class of 2014
The Physician Assistant Program’s class of 2014 was the largest graduating class (43 students) in the past 15 years.
Education Chair Receives Fulbright Award
Lorri MacDonald, chair of the Department of Education at University of Detroit Mercy, was awarded a Fulbright Scholar grant in 2014 to work with Ilia State University in Tbilisi, Georgia (Russia) to collaborate and develop teacher and school leadership preparation programs for the institution.
Moot Court Program
Our award-winning Moot Court program takes UDM law students to competitions across the country as they argue legal issues in environmental, international, constitutional, asylum, criminal, and IP and IT law each year.
Titan Classic Sports: The new 24-hour TV network
This fall, UDM partnered with WADL-TV to launch the Titan Classic Sports Network, a new channel devoted to Detroit Titans sports 24 hours a day! It is only the third network in the country dedicated to the athletics of a single university, broadcasting games from decades of University sports history.