Great Things at UDM
Below are just some of the distinguishing features and faculty that reflect educational excellence at UDM.
Great Things University-wide
UDM Increases Standing in U.S. News RankingFor the fourteenth year, UDM ranks among the top tier of Midwestern master's universities in the 2015 edition of U.S.News and World Report's "Best Colleges" More
Service Learning Classes
More than 90 courses across the University incorporate Service Learning in classes, resulting in course-related, direct services to the poor and marginalized in our community. Throughout the school year, approximately 1,800 UDM student volunteers provide service in conjunction with approximately 140 community service agencies.
- UDM’s School of Architecture has had the best overall passing rates in the state on the architecture license exams four years in a row.
- At the time of graduation in May 2014, 75% of architecture graduates had at least one full-time job offer before graduation.
- At the American Institute of Architecture’s Michigan Awards Banquet in June 2014, SOA alumni, students and faculty won several key awards, including the Young Architect of the Year award, the AIA Michigan Associate of the Year Award, the prestigious AIA Michigan President’s Award for service to the profession through contributions in the academic realm, and finally, one of our graduates won the state-wide award for the best student project of the year.
- SOA alumnus James Timberlake, FAIA, ’74, was named by President Obama to the National Institute of Building Sciences Board of Directors.
- SOA alumnus Mickey Jacob, FAIA, ’81, ’82, was the 2013 national president of the American Institute of Architects.
- SOA alumni were named the “Best Young Architect of the Year” in Detroit for four of the past six years.
- SOA alumni were also named “Best Young Architect of Year” for the entire State of Michigan (four winners at this level in the past six years.)
- UDM School of Architecture graduate students won the statewide award from AIA Michigan for the best student design project in Michigan in 2013 and 2014.
- In the last two years, 11 of the 16 available scholarships awarded statewide by the Michigan Architecture Foundation went to UDM students.
MBA Ranks Among World’s BestC
Corporate Knights magazine ranks the University of Detroit Mercy MBA program among the top 30 in the world for its emphasis on sustainability and social responsibility.
At the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Annual Session held in March 2014, the UDM ADEA chapter received the Award for Outstanding Chapter Organization, which recognizes students who create programs, sponsor events and educational activities and support advances in dental education.
The American Student Dental Association (ASDA) annual Gold Crown Awards recognized Graham Greenland ‘10, current ASDA Chapter President, with the District 6 Delegate of the Year Award for his personal dedication and outstanding achievement on behalf of ASDA and its local chapter members.
Dr. Riyad Al-Qawasmi, associate professor in the Department of Orthodontics, was awarded the American Association of Orthodontists’ 2014 Subtelny, Baker, Eastman Teaching Fellowship Award of $15,000 for research to evaluate the heritability of smile genetics in non-treated siblings.
College Offers New Programs
The College now offers a Master of Environmental Engineering and a new minor in Computer Science.
The Health Information Management program has successfully completed the first phase of the CAHIIM accreditation process with positive feedback.
Professional Education Program Is Nationally Certified
University of Detroit Mercy’s Teacher Education Program, designed to develop effective educators in today’s world, is accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC) through 2017.
Applied Legal Theory and Analysis
The Dean's Advisory Board includes lawyers, judges and others actively involved in the legal profession from across the country who advise the School about how best to prepare UDM law graduates, keeping UDM School of Law current with the changing demands of the profession.
Titan Classic Sports: The new 24-hour TV network
This fall, UDM partnered with WADL-TV to launch the Titan Classic Sports Network, a new channel devoted to Detroit Titans sports 24 hours a day! It is only the third network in the country dedicated to the athletics of a single university, broadcasting games from decades of University sports history.