Great Things at UDM
Below are just some of the distinguishing features and faculty that reflect educational excellence at UDM.
Great Things University-wide
UDM Increases Standing in U.S. News RankingFor the thirteenth year, UDM ranks among the top tier of Midwestern master's universities in the 2014 edition of U.S. News and World Report's "Best Colleges"More
White House Representatives Visit UDM Campus
During the White House representatives’ visit to Detroit on Sept. 27, 2013, the White House announced the awarding of nearly $300 million to the City of Detroit from government, philanthropic and private sources. On the same day, the University of Detroit Mercy hosted a private discussion among a small interfaith, interdenominational group of local religious leaders and members of the Obama Administration. Among the guests were Secretary Shaun Donovan, Housing and Urban Development; Gene Sperling, Assistant to the President and Director of the National Economic Council; and Don Graves, a deputy assistant secretary at the U.S. Department of Treasury and executive director of President Barack Obama's Council on Jobs and Competitiveness. Graves is the administration's point person on the federal response to the financial crisis in Detroit. The meeting was an excellent exchange of ideas and recommendations among some of Detroit’s major religious leaders, including Archbishop Allen Vigneron and Bishop Don Hanchon.
Design Center Makes a Difference in Detroit
The School of Architecture's Detroit Collaborative Design Center is recognized worldwide for its exemplary work in community-based design. Their current work as leaders of the community engagement process for the Detroit Future City project for the city of Detroit received excellent feedback and promises to be groundbreaking in the field of urban design for post-industrial cities.
New Program Offerings
In addition to traditional undergraduate and MBA degrees, the College of Business Administration now offers a combined BS/MBA program leading to both degrees in five years. Additionally, the College now offers several new graduate certificate programs, including Forensic Accounting, Ethical Leadership & Change Management, Finance (available on campus and off-campus in Harper Woods), and Business Turnaround Management (available online).
Renewed Funding to the Office of Multicultural Affairs
The Office of Multicultural Affairs received renewed funding of over $300,000 for UDMSD’s pipeline programs. The grant funds assist pre-doctoral and pre-hygiene students from disadvantaged backgrounds. The programs help underrepresented minorities (URM) learn about the opportunities in the oral health care profession. Additionally, the funding will assist in the educational development of URM allied health faculty, along with providing resources for the UDMSD Sealant Program.
Leader in Robotics Competitions
In the past seven years, the UDM robotics team has placed first three times and third twice in the Intelligent Ground Vehicle Competition (IGVC), fourth in the ASME Student Design Competition (a robotic window washer), and third in the ASME Innovation Show (a robotic assistive device) . . . all national competitions involving well over 100 engineering colleges.
- One hundred percent of UDM nursing graduates passed the licensing exam in winter 2012; nursing graduates had a 97.18 percent pass rate in spring 2012.
- One hundred percent of UDM graduates passed the Family Nurse Practitioner certificate exam.
- One hundred percent of nursing graduates passed the Clinical Nurse Leader certificate exam.
- One hundred percent of nursing graduates have jobs upon graduation or are enrolled in graduate school. Employers report high satisfaction with our nursing graduates.
- One hundred percent of UDM graduates from the Nurse Anesthesia program passed their December 2011 certification examination. The Nurse Anesthesia average first-attempt pass rate for the last 5 years (2007-2011) is 93.2%, which compares favorably to the national first-attempt pass rate of 89% during the same time period.
- One hundred percent of UDM graduates from the Physician Assistant Program passed their 2011 certification exam. One hundred percent of graduates responding to a survey six months after graduation in 2011 were employed as a PA.
Education Chair Receives Fulbright Award
Lorri MacDonald, chair of the Department of Education at University of Detroit Mercy, has been awarded a Fulbright Scholar grant to work with Ilia State University in Tbilisi, Georgia (Russia) to collaborate and develop teacher and school leadership preparation programs for the institution. MacDonald will be providing professional development to both in-service and pre-service teachers for the 2013-2014 academic year.
Law Firm Program
The School of Law offers specialty courses in the School’s Law Firm Program including:
- Advising Entrepreneurs in New Business Start-ups
- Anatomy of a Business Transaction
- Children and the Law
- Environmental Law
- Family Law
- Intellectual Property
- Pre-trial Criminal Advocacy
- Small Firm Practice
Detroit Men's Golf Team Wins Most Horizon League Championships
The Detroit men's golf team has won seven Horizon League championships, the most by any members past or present.