Great Things at UDM
Great Things at the School of Dentistry
- The entering class of 2019 has 144 students with an average GPA of 3.53 and the average Dental Admissions Test scores of 20, placing UDMSOD students in the top 85th percentile nationally among all DAT candidates.
- Students and faculty from University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry, University of Detroit Mercy, and Wayne State University School of Medicine were one of six teams chosen by national competition to participate in the 2015 Inter-professional Leadership Program sponsored by the Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA). The team developed an inter-professional oral health initiative for the Detroit community called “Smile Detroit” (Students in Michigan for Inter-professional Leadership Education) with the aim to provide oral screenings and referrals at free clinics. In support of the project’s implementation, the team was awarded $1,000 from PAEA.
- In February 2015, UDMSOD dental students headed to Lansing to meet with Michigan lawmakers. There, they discussed important interests relevant to dental students and the dental profession, hoping to a make long-term influence on policy making.
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) published the UDMSOD Pediatric Club chapter’s article regarding its experience at the AAPD Annual Meeting held this past May in Seattle and about becoming an official student chapter. It was published in the July 2015 "PDT, Pediatric Dentistry Today, The Magazine of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry."
- Members of the UDMSOD chapter of the Student Professionalism and Ethics Association (SPEA) received the following awards at the 4th Annual Session of the Student Professionalism and Ethics Association in Dentistry:
- National SPEA Chapter of the Year Award
- National SPEA Best Communications Award
In addition, some members were appointed to some National SPEA positions:
- Hanan Kazbour-National Vice Chair of Membership Affairs
- Bianca Toma-Boji -National Vice Chair of Organizational Affairs
- Samneet Mangat- Regent Officer District 4
- Dr. George Goodis will be honored with the 2016 Part-Time Educator award from the American Association of Endodontics, recognizing his contributions to endodontics in the field of education and whose contributions have instilled in his/her students a desire to pursue excellence in their career.
- Long-time faculty of UDMSOD and Senior Scholar in Residence Robert Bruce MacIntosh, D.D.S., was recognized for lifetime achievement at the 97th Annual Meeting of the American Association of Oral Surgeons in September 2015. The award acknowledges Dr. MacIntosh as a visionary surgeon whose accomplishments have influenced the scope of specialty practice.